Statistics of Stress in Singapore
A staggering 92% of working Singaporeans report feeling stressed. 8% higher than the global average at 84%. Numerous reports have shown that stress in Singaporeans predominately culminates in the workplace.
(According to a Cigna 360 Well-Being Survey done in 2019)
Is Singapore a stressful country?
Singaporeans are among the most stressed at work. In fact, of the five indices used to examine perceptions of well-being – family, financial, physical, work and social, work is a leading cause of rising stress levels in the country. 2019 (Cigna 360 Well-Being Survey)
Risk of Stress if Left Untreated
Common effects of stress can affect your body, your thoughts and feelings, and your behaviour.
If left untreated, stress can affect well-being and cause severe health problems.
Stress can contribute to heart disease and may cause heart attack, sudden cardiac death, and stroke.
Stress also increases the risk for developing Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and colitis.
Is Stress Good or Bad?
Stress is key for survival, but too much stress can be detrimental. Emotional stress that stays around for weeks or months can weaken the immune system and cause high blood pressure, fatigue, depression, anxiety and even heart disease.
Can Stress Kill You?
Yes! Chronic stress may kill you. If the levels of cortisol (stress hormone) is increased, it interferes with learning and memory, lower immune function and bone density, and increase blood pressure, cholesterol and heart disease.
Tests (Diagnosis) for Stress Levels
Blood tests can be used to estimate how much stress one is experiencing.
A cortisol blood test is one of the most commonly used blood tests. Cortisol is a hormone that is released by the adrenal glands when one is under stress.
Lifestyle Changes for Stress
- Stress Management
- Keep a positive attitude
- Accept that you cannot control all events happening around you
- Be assertive instead of aggressive
- Learn and practice relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga, tai-chi
- Exercise regularly
- Eat healthy, well-balanced meals
- Learn to manage your time more effectively
Homeopathy & Stress
Many consultations with homeopaths are stress related. Stress is caused by higher levels of “cortisone” the body’s main stress hormone.
The human body is able to deal with stress for a short period of time before some symptoms appear.
These should be treated with the indicated remedy. High levels of stress can cause insomnia, migraine, ulcers, fibromyalgia, immune system deficiency, hypertension, heart attack, stroke, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome and irritability.
Along with the treatment described below, distress can be reduced by the following ways:
- Add more fun to your life
- Pursue a hobby
- Gardening is a soothing exercise
- Go on a vacation
- Get enough sleep and rest your body should recharge and discharge tensions
- Laugh often. Laughter is a great tension breaker and it enhances the immune system. Rent a funny movie read a funny book or TV show that makes you laugh and keep it on hand for stress emergency
- Regular exercise is a great way to relieve tension, increase energy and improve the mood. Find an activity you like and do it often. Going for a walk clears the mind.
- Love more – learn to use things to love people, instead of other way around. Helping others through voluntary work takes attention away from anxieties.
- Eliminates of self-pity – you may get sympathy for a while, but soon you will get avoided
- Develop a meaningful relationship. It is important to have good friends in whom you can confide and find support. It is also important to be a true friend. Talk to such friends.
- Alter behaviour and attitude – when ideas or views are not serving you well – change them. Learn to respond to situations, not react. Compromise
- Learn relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga, tai-chi to experience inner peace
- Express your feelings. Do not suppress your emotions as it can create stress, pain and illness
- Nicotine, alcohol, caffeine, sugar and refined carbohydrates should all be eliminated from consumption. These substances rob the body of stress fighting vitamins B and C, potassium, zinc and magnesium
Homeopathy Medicine for Relieving Stress
Ashwagandha & Ginseng : Reduces stress by helping adrenal glands to function properly. Adrenal glands are the main gland responsible for dealing with stress. The mixture also gives energy to the body, increases mental and physical performance, reduces fatigue and increases resistance to infections. Use Mixture of these two remedies in mother tincture(Q) mix in equal parts and 10 drops in 30ml warm water, thrice daily
Hypericum : It increases blood flow to the stress tissues and is a tranquilizer. It can be used when no definite symptoms can be found to select an indicated remedy. Use mother tincture(Q), 15 drops in 30ml warm water, thrice daily
Kava Kava : Brings about sleep when the cause is stress and anxiety without any side effects. It should not be used by pregnant and nursing women, and patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease. Use mother tincture(Q), 10 drops in 30ml warm water, thrice daily
Ocimum Sanctum : It is an anti-stress remedy. In Hindu temples, its leaves with diluted milk are given as “Charanamrart” to devotees. Use mother tincture(Q), 10 drops in 30ml warm water, twice daily
Lavender oil : Lavender reduces anxiety, tension and stress. Put a few drops of Lavender oil on a handkerchief for smelling and few drops of it on the pillow before going to bed
Numerous studies show that psychological stress can lead to illness, even death. The pressures of daily life, jobs, relationships, money, raising children, etc. cause stress and prolonged stress contributes to many physical and psychological ills.