Statistics of Diabetes in Singapore
In Singapore, 12 percent of the population suffers from pre-diabetes. One-third of them become diabetic, another one-third remain pre-diabetic.
Among the diabetics, one in three has poor control of their condition. The prevalence of diabetes in Singapore (10.5 percent) is higher than the world’s average (8.8 percent).
This is largely attributed to our ageing population and diabetes risk increases with age. One in nine Singaporeans aged 18 to 69 years were affected by diabetes in 2010.
What is Diabetes
Diabetes is a disruption in metabolism, the way your body uses food. It is a disease in which the body does not produce or respond to insulin, a hormone that is essential for energy production and growth.
Food passes through the oesophagus to the stomach and small intestines where digestion converts some of it into sugar (glucose), which enters the bloodstream.
Sensing an increase in glucose levels, Beta cells in pancreas secrete insulin, a hormone that enables glucose to enter body cells. Cells use glucose for energy or store as fat for later.
Major Forms of Diabetes
Type 1 – 1 in about 20 people with diabetes is affected with this type. The pancreas produces no insulin or insufficient amounts and person must receive insulin daily. This type usually strikes before the age of 30.
- Type 2 – The most common form usually occurs after the age of 40 in overweight people. The insulin made by the pancreas is inadequate to prevent glucose from building up in the blood. Obesity increases resistance to insulin and is a major risk factor for developing Type 2 diabetes.
Risk if Diabetes is Left Untreated
Diabetes if left untreated, increases the risk of serious vision conditions, such as cataracts and glaucoma.
Foot damage in the feet or poor blood flow to the feet increases the risk of various foot complications.
Kidneys: If untreated, kidney disease known as Diabetic Nephropathy leads to impaired kidney function, dialysis and/or kidney transplant.
The most common long-term diabetes-related health problems are: damage to the large blood vessels of the heart, brain and legs also known as macrovascular complications, damage to the small blood vessels, causing problems in the eyes, kidneys, feet and nerves also known as microvascular complications.
If people with Type 1 Diabetes are left untreated, they are more likely to get heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, high blood pressure, blindness, nerve damage and gum disease or in serious cases it can cause coma or death.
If people with Type 2 Diabetes are left untreated, the high blood sugar can affect different parts of the organs and cells in the body.
Complications include kidney damage and may lead to dialysis, eye damage and may lead to blindness, or an increased risk of heart disease or stroke.
Homeopathy Medicine for Diabetes
Diabetes Insipidus AKA Polyuria (Profuse urine without sugar)
- Alfalfa: Frequent desire to urinate. Urine contains abnormal amount of urea and phosphates. Use in Mother tincture (Q), 10 drops in 30 ml warm water, thrice daily.
- Argentum Nitricum: Frequent and profuse urination. Maybe passed unconsciously, day and night. Dribbling of urine. Urine may contain sugar or may not contain sugar. It is useful for polyuria in diabetes mellitus or diabetes insipidus. The patient should have a great desire for sweets. Use dilution (200C), 10 pills, thrice daily.
- Squilla Maritima: Urine is passed several times during the day and at night. Much urging to urinate. Involuntary spurting of urine while coughing or sneezing. Use in dilution (200C), 10 pills, thrice daily.
Diabetes Mellitus (Urine containing sugar)
- Avena Sativa: This medicine is from Oats to help protect the rise of glucose levels in the blood by slowing down sugar absorption. Use in mother tincture (Q), 10 drops in 30 ml warm water, thrice daily
- Cratagus Oxy.(Q), Rauwolfia(Q), Passiflora(Q): Good for diabetes with hypertension. It brings down the blood pressure and sugar level in the blood within a few days. Use in mother tincture(Q), mix these three remedies in equal quantities, 10 drops in 30 ml warm water, thrice daily
- Fenugreek: It controls diabetes and reduces sugar in the blood and urine. Also controls simple polyuria. Use mother tincture(Q), 15 drops in ½ cup of warm water, thrice daily.
- Ginseng: It helps maintain blood sugar levels in non-diabetes and lowers blood sugar levels in diabetics – improves blood circulation and lowers blood pressure. Use mother tincture (Q), 10 drops in 30 ml warm water, thrice daily
- Gymnema Syl.: It is especially useful when the patient has a (Gur mar) abolished for bitter things. Reduces glucose in blood. Sexual debility. Large quantities of urine make the patient weak. Use in mother tincture(Q), 5 to 10 drops, 4 hourly in 30 ml warm water
- Insulinum: It is the hormone secreted by the pancreas, which is a ductless gland. It may be used in the beginning of the treatment and thereafter intercurrently. It helps production of an adequate quantity of insulin in the proper form. Epileptic convulsions and mental derangements can be produced by injections of this hormone. If administered at suitable occasions, it maintains the normal level of sugar. Use in dilution (3X), 10 pills, thrice daily
- Pancreatinum: This pancreatic extract is useful when diabetes due to a malfunction or disease of the pancreas. Use in dilution (30C), 10 pills, when necessary
- Phlorizinum: 15 drops if taken three times a day checks increase in blood sugar and cure successive sugar in blood and urine. For best results. It should be given with Syzygium jamb. simultaneously.
- Syzygium Jamb. and Uranium Nitricum: Both combined or given separately in alteration, 3 hourly, reduce sugar in blood and urine speedily. Usually results are available in 10 days. Uranium nit. also control high blood pressure. Syzygium jamb. Q is a very useful remedy and works in two ways. It strengthens the blood vessels which are weakened by the disease and helps prevent related eyesight problems. Use Syzygium jamb. in mother tincture (Q) and Uranium nitricum (3X), 10 drops, 3 hourly or thrice daily
- Thyroidinum: Diabetes mellitus when there is great weakness and rapid change of symptoms. Use dilution in (30C), 10 pills, thrice daily
- Uranium Nit.: Diabetes due to defective digestion. There is much thirst and enormous appetite, yet the patient continues to emaciate. Use dilution in (30C), 10 pills, thrice daily
Always check with your homeopathic doctor before taking any medicine
Conclusive diagnosis of diabetes can be found by testing of blood and urine in a clinical laboratory.
People over 45 are at a risk of developing diabetics.
With diabetes, the body cannot use or store properly the energy produced from the food eaten. It is because the pancreas either does not produce the required quantity of insulin or the insulin produced is not of a good quality.
Failure to arrest the disease can result in damage of nerves and arteries, kidney failure and blindness.
Risk factors include, being overweight, being inactive and having a family history of the disease.
Early diagnosis, healthy eating, weight control and regular testing of blood and urine essential.